Yet another monthly platform email

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Mar 12 03:32:40 EET 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:36:19 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> The impression I got at xdevconf was that smaller is better.  The impression I
> get from the archives is that the platform should define those pieces which
> are baked and stable.

Personally, I agree with both of those.

>                       However, I also got from xdc that the package set
> under consideration for the platform is: fontconfig, gstreamer, dbus, hal,
> cairo, maybe pkgconfig.

The context in which I remember hearing cairo and the platform
mentioned together at cairo was along the lines of "Of the software at
freedesktop.org, what kinds of things do we expect to be baked and
stable at some point", and definitely not that it's there now. I
believe dbus was mentioned as being in a similar class.

> Cairo worries me. [...] To me this doesn't sound like baked software.

Don't worry. It's not baked.

If someone is crazy enough to think cairo belongs in a platform as
stable software, right now, then I'll just go break some more APIs
just to prove them wrong.

We are working towards stability though. And when we get to 1.0, I
plan to be committing to live with that API for quite some time.

-Carl