Input rework

Charlie Brej plymouth at brej.org
Wed Dec 17 06:33:53 PST 2008

Ray Strode wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
>
> On IRC (irc.freenode.net, #plymouth) you asked me to review some patches
> (which are here: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/plymouth/log/?h=input-rework)
> that you're doing to allow for more flexibility with input.

Thanks for the review. I've cleaned up the changes implemented all the things
you suggested (I didn't disagree with any).

As a replacement for "clearword", I went for "question" i.e."on_ask_question",
"ask_question_handler", "question_answer_state"... To clarify things a little I
differentiated "answer_state" to "password_answer_state" (to match
question_answer_state).

I have already pushed the buffer fixups into git as they were unrelated. And the
rest of the patch is here:
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~brejc8/temp/input_method.patch
Are you OK with it being pushed into the master?

I made a couple of scripts to try out logging in early using plymouth (log into
the machine while it is still booting and then bypass the gdm login screen).
Your idea of, once logged in it goes straight to a locked screensaver, is
probably necessary too. It works very well. One feature I stumbled across was
that if you have already typed in your password to decrypt a partition, if it is
the same as your username password, you don't have to type it in. I would like
to propose it as a feature for F11. Most of the required plymouth functionality
is already there but it would require initscripts and gdm to be poked around a
bit and also it requires quite a bit of testing. What do you think?

I was also going to work on the following next (Do they sound ok?):

- Add pause/unpause-progress commands to allow the initscripts to pause the
progress if they know something slow is about to be performed. And remove the
automatic pause on the password entry.

- Add show/hide-message to show any important messages that the user should see
in any splash (Press 'I' for interactive startup, Press 'L' to login early...).

- Fix the background to the text entry which calls erase from the draw label
function. I was going to do this by drawing the text to a pixmap first and then
later drawing to the framebuffer.