Input rework

Charlie Brej plymouth at brej.org
Thu Dec 18 12:39:05 PST 2008

Ray Strode wrote:
> Well question is how to enable it...  It only makes sense to do some cases.
> How are you gettng the password to pam?
>
> We should probably use the automatic login path of gdm to use a pam
> conversation that doesn't ask for password,
> and to by pass the greeter entirely.
>
> The idea of booting up and getting coffee and coming back to a loaded
> session sounds nice though.

I hacked a couple scripts together and here is what a mockup looks like:

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~brejc8/temp/early_login.swf

When you press "L" it shows a question dialogue which asks for a username. If
that is entered before quit, it activates a script which asks for a password.
Entry of a password tests pam and then causes gdm to automaticly login. One of
the things that are missing is a message to state that the login was successful
and you will be autologged in (go away and have a tea). Before loading the
gnome-session it starts a screensaver. Once logged into gnome it takes
absolutely ages to load all the startup apps so I didn't try unlocking the
screensaver until the HD stopped grinding.

Currently with pam I cheated and used the "pam_auth" that comes with squid.
Google claims there is no program that does this in the pam package so it may
mean writing a helper util.

Should this go through FESCo?