Plymouth progress patch

Charlie Brej plymouth at brej.org
Mon Oct 20 07:47:04 PDT 2008

Two things

1: I have committed a patch to get the progress to retain between splash
plugins. Attached is the second half of the patch which I wanted you to
OK before I commit. It changes the boot-duration to contain the arrival
times (as a percentage of the whole boot time) of the messages during
the previous boot.

e.g:
0.381:Applying Intel CPU microcode update:                 [  OK  ]
0.408:ip6tables: Applying firewall rules:                  [  OK  ]
0.438:iptables: Applying firewall rules:                   [  OK  ]
0.502:Bringing up loopback interface:                      [  OK  ]
0.578:Starting auditd:                                     [  OK  ]
0.618:Starting restorecond:                                [  OK  ]
0.763:Starting setroubleshootd:                            [  OK  ]
0.810:Starting sshd:                                       [  OK  ]

This would allow the live CD version to come with such a file and the
progress would calibrate itself to the boot speed of the current
machine. I also made the progress smooth to remove any backward steps
and slowdowns.
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~brejc8/temp/1.svg shows the time in seconds vs
the progress reported % of several boots.

2: I was going to propose indirecting the control plugins from rather
than directly drawing to the shadow framebuffer, to draw to images. This
would allow a level of flexibility by allowing text to be placed with
opacity, rotated, etc. Additionally, I have most of a fixed font control
plugin in place to allow text before pango is loaded.

--
Dr Charles Brej, Research Associate, APT Group
IT412, IT Building, School of Computer Science