serial console detection

Ray Strode halfline at
Thu Jun 11 11:30:28 PDT 2009

> I'm investigating running plymouth on the F11 distribution we're making
> for the XO-1.5.
> The first problem I'm facing is with the check_for_consoles() function
> in main.c.
> OLPC boots with console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 with the intention of
> sending boot messages over the serial console if it is plugged in, and
> also booting as normal with tty0 being the primary console.
> However, plymouth bails out with these parameters present, even if we
> just have console=tty0 alone (the comment in that function suggests that
> its trying to disable itself on a serial console, but it didn't even
> check the console that it was being asked to work with...)
> Why is it doing this?
There aren't particularly good reasons for doing it this way.  The
main motivation was just that normally a user who wants a serial
console doesn't want a boot splash (say kernel developers or
whatever).  It probably makes sense to tell people who don't splashes
to remove "splash" (or "rhgb") from their kernel command lines

Fixing it will require updating the splash plugins to support multiple
"windows".  A window is just an abstraction over a serial console or
vt.  Right now, only the details splash plugin has support.

If you want to look into it great! Otherwise file a bug at and I'll look into it.