plymouth performance

Charlie Brej plymouth at brej.org
Mon Jun 15 12:29:29 PDT 2009

On 12/06/09 04:52, Ray Strode wrote:
> Instead of having one bounding box of what to flush, I now keep a list
> of rectangles and flush them one by one.
> Since the rectangles can in theory overlap, I had a little logic to
> try to eliminate duplicate work, but it's not as sophisticated as it
> could be.

Could you take a look at this patch? It is a bit complicated but I think it does
the job. The sprites in the plugins I wrote have the same problem and it may be
an idea to create a "ply-area" in libply to reuse the code.

> If those commits above don't help we may want to add some profiling
> hooks into plymouth to get a clearer idea where the time is being
> spent.

I have in the past used callgrind and kcachegrind for profiling plymouth, with
an added bonus of being able to see how the program behaves on a ~10 times
slower system.