Two plugin-rework patches

Charlie Brej plymouth at brej.org
Fri May 8 09:05:45 PDT 2009

Ray Strode wrote:
> Hi,
>> fade.patch is a review request as I am unsure about a couple things. It
>> creates a new image data block with the fade being done by weighting the
>> data from each image. This is then drawn on the screen.
> Isn't image_fade() nothing more than:
>
> /* Fill with the old frame at full opacity */
> ply_image_buffer_fill_with_argb32_data (...,previous_frame_data, ...)
>
> /* Blend the new frame OVER the old frame at the current fade percentage */
> ply_image_buffer_file_with_argb32_data_at_opacity (..., frame_data, percentage);
>
> ?  If image_fade() doesn't add anything over doing those two lines,
> then I guess I'd rather just have those two lines.

The difference being that any partially transparent parts of the overlay frames
will be drawn twice (although not as strongly the second time) and thus receive
a double dose of the partly transparent foreground colour. On the filling
circle, the only parts this effects is the edges which throb as there is a
sudden step between showing two superimposed images and a single image. You can
only see it properly in the last frames of the filling sequence.