Plymouth custom initrd problems

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore.com
Tue May 19 10:10:35 PDT 2009

Ray,

I am trying to add plymouth to a custom "busybox" based initrd we use for diskless boots (based on uClibc's buildroot) but we eventually switch_root to Fedora 11. I have updated the initrd with all the requisite files using "plymouth-populate-initrd" and plymouthd seems to start fine. However the plymouth --show-splash call does nothing. I am just trying to get VESA working (vga=0x318) for now so no fancy modesetting or kernel modules are required. My guess is that Nash does something different when setting up the initial terminals compared to busybox's "sh" implementation that plymouth doesn't like. In particular the tty that my "init" script uses is set to /dev/console. Maybe I need it to be tty0 for plymouth? I tried setting the tty using the kernel option "console=tty0" but it looks like busybox's "sh" doesn't respect that. In the Fedora initrd I noticed that there is a "/lib/udev/console_init tty0" command right before plymouthd starts.

Here's a snippet of the relevant part of the debugging output from "plymouthd --debug" after issuing the "plymouth --show-splash" command:

<snip>
  [main.c]             add_windows_to_boot_splash:There are 1 windows in list
  [main.c]             start_boot_splash:showing plugin
  [ply-boot-splash.c]    ply_boot_splash_show:showing splash screen

  [./plugin.c]         hide_splash_screen:hiding splash screen
  [./plugin.c]         detach_from_event_loop:detaching from event loop
  [./main.c]           quit_splash:quiting splash
<snip>

I have checked the other email thread (Gentoo) where you outlined the boot process and have checked that I am setting up the devices correctly. I have "rhgb" and "vga=0x318" in the kernel command line. Any insight or pointers you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Daire