Progress and transitions

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore.com
Tue May 26 10:15:41 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have my busybox based initrd working well with Plymouth now and I have copied and customised the "charge/two-step" theme. But I still have a couple of niggling issues that I can't figure out.

How exactly do I control the progress speed within the initrd? My initrd takes around 20 secs before it does a chroot and starts using the Fedora image. In this time the progress bar makes it most of the way through it's sequence. I tried adding "/usr/share/plymouth/default-boot-duration" to my initrd and adding some entries like so:

  0.100:RCdiskless1
  0.130:RCdiskless2
  0.160:RCdiskless3
  0.200:RCdiskless4
  0.222:RCkernelparam
  0.223:RChostname
  0.238:RCmountfs
  0.275:RCswap
  ..

and then I added the corresponding "plymouth --update=RCdiskless1" entries to my "init" script but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Also should the "radeon(hd)" KMS driver not be able to transition seamlessly to the GDM screen? It just quits for me before GDM starts. I see there are entries like this for the "charge" theme config:

  Transition=none
  TransitionDuration=0.0

but I don't know exactly what they are for or how to use them.

Finally, how does plymouth get called when doing a shutdown or reboot? I just get a blank screen when doing this using my initrd/diskless setup. It works fine when Fedora11 is actually installed properly on the local drive.

Regards,

Daire