Bitmap text renderer

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 08:24:34 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Charlie Brej <plymouth at brej.org> wrote:
> Noticed some people were having problems wanting text messages before / is
> mounted. How about a bitmap text renderer? I hacked one up. It is pretty
> small (7kb compiled stripped).
I pushed this to the bitmap-label-control branch here:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/plymouth/log/?h=bitmap-label-control

Did you write all those glyphs by hand?!  that must have taken time :-)

I think this approach might be useful for some use cases, but it has a
big drawback:

1) Still requires copying translations to the initrd
2) Doesn't have sufficient font converage to render strings in
arbitrary languages.

It's a hard problem, which is why we've traditionally said "don't show
messages until / is mounted".

--Ray