[Theme] Space Sunrise

Andre "Osku" Schmidt andre.osku.schmidt at osku.de
Sat Jan 2 15:39:42 PST 2010

Hi Adrian,

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 21:26 +0100, Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>
> On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 09:07:05PM +0100, Andre Osku Schmidt wrote:
> > Hello list and Happy 2010!
> >
> > been following plymouth in the blogsphere for a while now, and when i
> > saw this easy tutorial http://brej.org/blog/?p=158 i could not resist to
> > scratch an itch...
> >
> > a sunrise in space, coming behind a planet, indicating the boot progress
> > of your system... (a station/ship/logo in the shadow of the planet,
> > illuminated by the sun rays coming from the horizon, boot done. <those
> > scifi scanning objects in display>, lock on station/ship/logo, display
> > login entry... ok, ok, i'll stop;)
>
> I just checked out your preview video and have to say I really like
> your plymouth, I'd highly vote for this to be in trunk. And even if
> not everybody likes your theme, it's still fair to be a part of
> plymouth since the amount of themes in plymouth is still limited.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not anyone of the guys who can make decisions here,
> but in any case, I support your efforts. Hope you can get it in. Maybe
> you should also contact Ray directly, he is very open to new
> improvements and helps you to get your stuff into plymouth as smooth
> as possible.
>
> Can you provide a patch against current git master, I would like to
> test on my own. Also, I would suggest that you also contact the Ubuntu
> Design Team, maybe they'd be willing to support you. They have just
> recently included plymouth with their latest alpha release and they're
> probably still looking for a default (there isn't any yet in Ubuntu).

i don't see a reason for it to be in Plymouth trunk, unless some "trunk
dev" likes it and wants to use/include/modify/fork it. And of course i
don't have nothing against it going in to trunk (upstream rules!). But,

as i understanded Plymouth themes, they are like any other themes, just
copy the files in the right directory. Or the theme i created is not a
"complete" theme (with custom behaviours), it's just a, AFAIK, a theme
using the Plymouth "script theme/engine". (still learning what is what)

So to test this theme (read the readme), if you have a working Plymouth
system, just run the build.sh (to create the png images from the svg
file), copy the whole dir to your Plymouth themes dir, set it as default
Plymouth theme and run Plymouth, or use (at your own risk) test.sh.

There is no patches needed for Plymouth or anything to get this theme to
work. And if you want know how to add/do something to/with the theme, or
would like me to add something (requires that it's cool;), don't
hesitate to mail me privately. (ATM you can easily set the offset of the
planet top and end "progress-times" of some effects, but that latter
probably doesn't work that well, as i'm just a hobby coder;)

> Ubuntu Artwork: <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/>

I kinda (personally) try to stay out of distros (or actually even after
8 years using Linux as main desktop, i still don't know which community
to commit, hence i notified upstream), thats why i made this thing as a
neutral "template", and people can/should use it to fit their favorite
distro (and as the raw material is a SVG file, you can easily change the
colors etc. of the parts).

But yes, my main desktop ATM is Ubuntu (i see it as "stable" Debian
Sid;), and as i made it, i did thought about Mr. Shuttelworth... :)

let there be light.
Andre

ps. i heard this theme does ~4fps on an eeepc, but looks smooth as it's
long animation. i wonder how it looks on my desktop in 1680x1050...

pps. to make the "animation area" smaller, we could add some black
monoliths on the left and right side :)