[SPAM] Re: Plymouth Script "event" for "boot pausers" ?

Andre "Osku" Schmidt andre.osku.schmidt at osku.de
Mon Jan 4 15:07:24 PST 2010

Thanks for your help on IRC,

On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 20:02 +0000, Charlie Brej wrote:
> On 04/01/10 19:23, Andre "Osku" Schmidt wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > i'm having much fun with Plymouth, thanks for making it!
> >
> > was wondering if we can get information in Plymouth Script when some
> > tool wants to "pause" the boot process (like fsck) ?
> > is it technically possible ? how hard to implement ?
>
> SetBootProgressFunction gives you the progress and time. If they slow down to a
> crawl then something stalled.
>
> > as i was playing with pacman[0] as progress bar, i thought it would be
> > cool when some tool wants to pause the boot process, a ghost would
> > appear (with speech bubble saying whats pausing the boot process) on the
> > "progress dots" in front of pacman... and when fsck is done, pacman
> > would continue moving and eating, also the ghost. :)
>
> Distros have the option of triggering an event with a special name you can pick
> up on. Thats distro dependant though, as are the causes of slowdowns.
>
> > i also see in the example Script theme these, for what are they used ?
> >
> > Plymouth.SetMessageFunction
> > Plymouth.SetDisplayNormalFunction
> > Plymouth.SetDisplayPasswordFunction
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Plymouth/Scripts

i somehow skipped the Callbacks part on that page, sorry.

here's some experimenting with Plymouth.SetUpdateStatusFunction, and was
wondering if i can get list of events that happened on last boot ?
(so i could make this more generic and show the ghost when an event
comes that was not in last boot)

http://osku.de/post/plymouth_pacman2e.ogv
(does 3 boot runs, normal, fsck inteferring, after fsck)
http://gitorious.org/oskude-plymouth-themes/pacman

cheers
.andre