do Plymouth conflicts with Fsck?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Sun Jul 11 10:38:30 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:13:09AM -0400, Ray Strode wrote:

> > 3. When i ask online about this Fsck issue, the answers i normally get
> > were this has a direct relation with the Plymouth, what makes me think
> > that: Plymouth is somehow conflicting with Fsck, or Plymouth disabled
> > some very important configuration file items that Fsck used.
> I think it's actually a bug triggered by the integration between fsck
> and plymouth than ubuntu does, not a direct conflict between fsck and
> plymouth.  I don't use or work on ubuntu, though, so it's a little
> hard for me to know, though.

Here is Paulo's bug report in launchpad, for reference:

 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/plymouth/+bug/599555

He's essentially requesting a non-trivial new feature for the plymouth text
theme.  We aren't going to just echo fsck output to the terminal - this
would be an unreadable mess because disks are fscked in parallel.

Paulo hasn't acknowledged my reply to his bug report, so I don't see why
he's repeating the same questions here.