debugging plymouth scripts

Charlie Brej plymouth at brej.org
Wed Jul 21 15:53:50 PDT 2010

On 07/21/2010 10:19 PM, wayne smith wrote:
> Hello plymouth-list,
>
> I am trying to develop a small plymouth theme that cycles through
> images. Is there a way I can debug my plymouth script? I have looked at
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Plymouth, but I cannot find a
> suitable method to debug scripts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> W. Smith

There are some tutorials here:
http://brej.org/blog/?cat=16
and a list of functions here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Plymouth/Scripts

When testing, run plymouthd with:
"--debug --debug-file=/tmp/plymouth-debug-out"
and see if there were any warnings there.

Try showing values using Image.Text and setting a sprite to place the
generated image on the screen.

Would you like a function to print things out to the debug log? Paste
your script somewhere and ask in #plymouth on irc.freenode.net.