Plymouth sets ISTRIP making 8-bit character input impossible

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 15:12:08 PDT 2010

I hit the following issue using plymouth 0.8.3 together with dracut.
Dracut installs the script that starts plymouth during boot; scripts
looks like

    info "Starting plymouth daemon"
    [ -x /bin/plymouthd ] && /bin/plymouthd --attach-to-session
    /lib/udev/console_init tty0
    /bin/plymouth --show-splash 2>&1 | vinfo

Script is always run, whether framebuffer is activated or not and
whether splash is requested or not.

I do not use framebuffer and when I had to break dracut init during
boot for debugging I found that above script sets istrip on console
making 8-bit input (actually, UTF-8) impossible.

Is there any reason for plymouth to set istrip? This looks rather
strange today, given that Linux defaults to Unicode on console for at
least three years I think.

Thank you!

-andrey