Creating a Text Plymouth

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 21:27:25 PST 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Jeff Hoogland <jeffhoogland at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been searching the net and digging through source code tearing my
> hair out... How does one go about customizing a text plymouth for a system?
Can you give a few more details about what you're trying to do?

The source code for the "text" plymouth splash is in

src/plugins/splash/text/plugin.c

This plugin is run automatically when a graphical boot splash can't be loaded.

It's the splash that has 3 competing colinear progress bars (written
by Adam Jackson).

As far as customization goes...

Some of the splash plugins in plymouth support customization through
their theme config files.

For instance, the two-step plugin lets you specify a the theme config
file where to align the animation on the screen,
what directory to pull animation frames from, etc.

The most customizable splash plugin is the "script" plugin (written by
Charlie Brej).  It has an embedded interpreter for a custom scripting
language. A lot of third party themes use the script plugin since you
can get a pretty advanced splash without writing any C code.

The text splash plugin isn't customizable without changing the source
code, however.    If you explain what your end goal is, I can give you
a run down on how you might get there.

--Ray