Issue with >2.6.32 kernels, plymouth always display at 1024x768

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 07:04:32 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:19 AM, Natale Vinto <ebballon at gmail.com> wrote:u
> I'm using plymouth 0.8.3 on Debian testing/sid linux distribution with
> kernel 2.6.38.3 . I have an intel integrated graphics controller
> managed by the i915 module and I followed Debian wiki in order to
> setup and run plymouth http://wiki.debian.org/plymouth
> It was all working but then, because I would modify default theme, i
> followed this great tutorial
> http://brej.org/blog/?p=158
> so I have my custome theme "mytheme" installed and running (i've just
> changed the image and put that code to auto-adapt to the screen size)
> but the problem is that the plymouth screen size is always 1024x768
> even if the screen it's greater. I have this issue on VGA but not for
> example on DVI computer with the same system.
So plymouth under most situations won't resize the display.  It just
uses what the kernel dishes out.
It sounds like you may be having some sort of driver issue.

Do make sure you don't have vga=0x318 or some such on the kernel
command line forcing a vesa mode.

> I've seen that in debian default kernel 2.6.32 the auto-resize code
> works so i wonder why in greater kernels (even if default one from
> debian repo) i have plymouth and mytheme always at 1024x768.
> I had this 1024x768 >2.6.32 kernel issue also with Xorg and I had to
> ignore LVDS1, but what I have to do for plymouth?
Ah, I see, so definitely a kms issue.  Maybe you can workaround it by
disabling the output on the kernel command line?

--Ray