Plymouth Code Contribution

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:04:15 PST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Nikhil Bharadwaj
<nikhil.bharadwaj.cse at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am keen on working on plymouth. And would love to have some challenging
> work on this.
> Can you suggest anything. I am very much available on weekends and rearely
> avbl in weekdays.
So the first thing I would do is get familiar with how plymouth works.

Charlie did a great series of blog posts on the topic here:

http://brej.org/blog/?p=158

I'd step through those and make sure you can compile and run plymouth, etc.

Once you feel comfortable building plymouth and running plymouth, then
you could start making improvements.

A couple areas I'd like to see improvements, personally:

1) Working unit tests.  right now we have a bunch of half written demo
programs, but nothing that works with "make check"

2) better documentation.  The plymouth plugin and client library apis
are undocumented, and most of the architecture as well.

3) Proper fsck integration.  Right now distros are sort of on their
own when fsck happens.  Some try to fake integration by using the
--update hook, others just hide splash, or don't do anything at all.
it would be good to add something more explicit into the library for
either fsck specifically, or more generally subtasks that will take a
while and have progress indication along the way.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head.

--Ray