Use addition tty instead of details plugin?

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Wed May 9 22:09:29 PDT 2012

Hey,

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Dr. Tilmann Bubeck <t.bubeck at reinform.de> wrote:
> If I press ESC, I can indeed see plymouth replay all messages from the boot
> process. Pressing ESC multiple times, will also replay the messages multiple
> times. I do not like this behaviour, because I think its slow and not nice
> to watch.
We can probably be smarter about it.  For instance, we could
potentially enable jump scrolling before doing the dump with a
terminal escape sequence.

Actually, I don't remember off hand why we do it at all.  It might be
worth investigating removing the replay.

> I wonder, if its possible to drop details and use a second tty for plymouth,
> so that the original tty from the boot messages is still available and used
> by the boot process. I think of something like "openvt -c 2 plymouthd" but
> hardcoded in main.c. On Esc we would simply switch between tty1 and tty2
> without any need for buffering or reprinting.
When you switch VTs you lose scrollback.

--Ray