Porting plymouth

sbell at tdt.com sbell at tdt.com
Thu Feb 28 12:46:39 PST 2013

I'm working on porting plymouth to a custom ARM system we've built. I've got it building into our init filesystem, but I am unable to get plymouth to show a splashscreen. Here's what I'm running in my init script right now:

> /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme glow
> /usr/sbin/plymouthd --debug --debug-file=/ply.log --mode=boot
> plymouth --show-splash

After I run this, I see some debug messages appear on the screen, but no image appears on screen. I also can't get any messages to appear on screen (eg: plymouth display-message --text="This is a test")

Here's some information on the target device:
* Linux 3.0 kernel, without KMS/DRM support.
* plymouth 0.8.8
* options passed to configure:

 --prefix=/usr \
 --host=${CHOST} --build=${_BUILD} \
 --sysconfdir=${TMPROOT}/etc \
 --datadir=${TMPROOT}/usr/share \
 --localstatedir=${TMPROOT}/var \
 --disable-silent-rules \
 --enable-tracing \
 --disable-tests \
 --enable-static=no \
 --enable-shared=yes \
 --with-system-root-install=no \
 --disable-pango \
 --disable-gtk \
 --disable-drm \
 --disable-systemd-integration \
 --disable-libkms
* The display is a 320x240 LCD panel
* /dev/fb0 is up and running by the time plymouth/d get called (tested by dumping /dev/urandom to /dev/fb0)

Any advice?

Thanks,

Stephen Bell