Hide-message doesn't work & no way to cancel ask-for-password

Dmitrijs Ledkovs xnox at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 28 14:00:51 PDT 2013

I'm experimenting with plymouth-x11 and running commands from a
terminal. I'm observing the following:

After:
plymouth display-message --text="foo"

The following commands do nothing:
plymouth hide-message --text="foo"
plymouth hide-message --text=""
plymouth hide-message <==== this one hangs

plymouth display-message --text=""
Does clear the display, but I think it's a coincidence / hack.

Furthermore it seems like there is no way to cancel a request.

After:
plymouth ask-for-password --prompt="foo"

I cannot seem to get:
plymouth ask-for-password --prompt="bar"

to work in any sane way. Even by specifying --command option either.

Killing the waiting client, doesn't help. Hiding & re-showing splash
and then asking the password again doesn't show the new prompt. And if
the "old prompt" is answered at that point the "new client" gets a
disconnect from the server.

I even looked at the code from systemd-ask-password and it doesn't
seem to cancel the active prompts either, unless I overlooked
something.

How can I cancel asking password and ask a new one? Either via command
line utility, through socket or with C API (well they are all the same
in the end talking to the server....)

Regards,

Dmitrijs.