Plymouth to GDM transition

Daniel Drake drake at endlessm.com
Fri Feb 28 05:57:25 PST 2014

Hi,

On our Debian-based setup, during boot we're seeing that the plymouth
animation finishes, then console log messages are displayed, then X
launches and starts gdm. We'd like to have this transition smoother.

I have seen some information about this here:
http://blogs.gnome.org/halfline/2009/11/28/plymouth-%E2%9F%B6-x-transition/

But I guess the functionality described there is controlled by the
--enable-gdm-transition argument which enables deprecated code.

The commit message there says:
    Most distributions no longer use this transition, which relies
    on plymouth quitting before X starts.

So plymouth quitting before X starts is now seen as dated? But isn't
that exactly what plymouth-quit-wait.service enforces on a modern
systemd setup?

Clarification much appreciated. How is this supposed to work at the moment?

Thanks,
Daniel