Ideas for completing WIP "add unit to switch back to initrd at shutdown" etc

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 13:25:54 UTC 2018

Hi,

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this.  Are you
interested in working on it?

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 6:50 AM, Alan Jenkins
<alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see the WIP commits which included "add unit to switch back to initrd at
> shutdown" etc have been reverted for now.
[...]

> Of course I'd be interested to hear why the WIPs
> were reverted.  Did the reexec approach come to seem more promising? Or was
> the WIP just taking too long to finish?
Those were never meant to go to master. They were just a quick draft
branch that snuck onto master when I was pushing some unrelated fixes.
It was incomplete, untested, and probably doesn't work. This problem,
in general, is on my back-burner radar and I haven't had time to work
on it (RHEL has been taking up a lot my time recently)

> * I was unhappy with the WIP originally, because I didn't want my system to
> be left with a frozen graphic (kept up by plymouth-drm-escrow).  I would
> want the option to see the text console messages, like I can with the escape
> key in current plymouth.  But I withdraw this objection: I think the design
> still allows this feature.  It seems straightforward, particularly if
> drm-escrow doesn't bother to implement switching *back* to graphics mode :).
So I'm actually unhappy with plymouth-drm-escrow because I don't think
it's actually necessary. systemd has a feature we can use instead:
`sd_pid_notify_with_fds` and `FDSTORE=1` so I think i'd rather if the
branch was reworked to leverage that, so we don't have to deal with
the lifecycle management of a child process etc.

The rest of what you said makes sense to me, and it seems like you've
thought of more corner cases than I did.  If you want to pick it up
where I left, let me know.  Sounds good to me.

--Ray