[Pm-utils] second suspend/resume cycle hangs on resume

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Dec 15 14:28:06 PST 2008

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:59:39 +1100, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

> Hi.

Hi,

> How about if you just
>
> echo mem > /sys/power/state

That has an interesting effect.  That does basically the same thing as
when I boot the kernel with init=/bin/bash and do a pm-suspend, and
that's to suspend fine, and resume fine except no backlight.  A second
suspend/resume (flying blind of course, but the suspend does happen as it
powers down and the power led blinks) fails per normal.  So the pm-utils
scripts seem to be doing something for for the first resume at least in
that the backlight comes back on.

> Two things:
>
> 1) I notice that it says in the LKML message that you're still using a
> 2.6.24 based kernel.

Either there, or some other list I updated to say that I was using a
kernel.org 2.6.28-rc8 kernel currently with the same behaviour.

> With issues like this, it's always best to try with
> a very recent kernel too, just in case the problem has been fixed since
> Hardy was released but the fix was not backported to Hardy kernels.

Indeed.  Checked that one off.  :-)

> 2) The reference to the module _might_ be due to using a framebuffer
> console. If you're booting with vga=791 or such like, try temporarily
> removing the vga=791.

I have no vga= arguments in my kernel command line.

b.