[Pm-utils] second suspend/resume cycle hangs on resume

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Dec 15 18:58:05 PST 2008

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:39:10 +1100, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi Brian.

Hi,

> Sorry for putting you wrong there - now that I've read the menuconfig
> page about the i915 module, I know that it's the DRM module for X.

Yeah.  I came to that conclusion as well.

> Without X running, it _should_ be unloadable.

And in fact when booting with init=/bin/bash, it isn't even loaded at
all, but that doesn't help unfortunately.

> The only remaining thing I can think of is to ask you to send us your
> dmesg, preferably including the output from the first cycle. If you were
> to turn on Verbose Power Management debugging messages as well (if
> they're not already on - in the Power management and ACPI options menu
> in the kernel config) and make the kernel log buffer nice and big so no
> output is lost (General setup -> Kernel log buffer size), that would be
> great.

OK.  Rebuilding now.  I configured a kernel log buffer size of 524288
(shift 19) so that should be good and big.

When done, I will boot into single user mode again and do a suspend/
resume and save the dmesg output and attach it here (or post it somewhere
and point to it here).  Of course, I can't send the dmesg from the second
cycle as it's dead after the second cycle resume.

If only this (what's turning out to be a POS) laptop (that's going back
to the store if this does not resolve fairly soon) had a serial port I
could get a serial console and capture that.

b.