[Pm-utils] [RFC] Switch to git, opening up for external contributors

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 08:46:41 PST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 8:19 AM, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:

> pm-utils is becoming more and more important as hal is pushing for it
> as preferred power management backend. A lot of distributions are
> using hal/pm-utils nowadays but they have to carry around a lot of
> distro specific patches. It's almost as every distro has an own "fork"
> of pm-utils.
> Unfortunately the acceptance of external patches has been very low.
> Would it be possible to open up the project for external contributions?

Not to point fingers, but I think the one huge issue is that Peter
Jones is project owner and has been the bottleneck. The last email he
sent to the list was May 31, 2007.

I (and I don't think others) would be opposed to adding more
contributors (Till Maas definitely should be committing), but I think
the first thing to do is put the project resources under someone
else's control. I would think Richard Hughes is a good candidate since
he obviously knows the power stuff and has Freedesktop privileges.
After that, I think the discussion could actually be meaningful.

Otherwise, you could just fork the project like was suggested a couple
weeks ago.

--
Dan