[Pm-utils] Basic powersave hooks

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Wed Jul 2 10:19:33 PDT 2008

Hi,

Victor Lowther wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 14:35 +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
>> I think leveraging the existing tool and documentation is in this case more
>> efficient than implementing it again.
>
> Yeah, I looked at that, but decided that I did not have the skillset to
> try turning laptop-mode into a Fedora package,

Well, maybe using my patches / specfile would be a good start

> and that it was easier
> for me to just reimplement the bits I actually care about as pm-utils
> hooks -- the full laptop-mode just had too many knobs I do not care
> about.

Yes, that's true. I solved that mostly by removing the options from the
configuration file, so that the users don't see them ;-) The code is mostly
still there, but it does no harm, and if a user really wants to use e.g. the
cpufreq stuff from laptop-mode-tools, then he can, but i strongly discourage
anyone from doing that.

If we find a common set of options we (as in "we distribution packagers") do
not want / need / deem useful, maybe we can convince Bart to #ifdef them out
somehow.

The advantage the laptop-mode-tools stuff has is, that it is well tested by a
large userbase and actively maintained by people who seem to know what they
are doing in that area, and that it is fairly well documented across the net.

Have fun,

	Stefan

P.S. if you are interested in test-driving it, there are also Fedora 8
     packages in my BuildService home at
     http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/seife/Fedora_8/noarch/
     Since it is only a collection of shell scripts, it should still run in
     newer releases. If it does not - bug reports are welcome, so that i can
     improve the build system :-)
--
Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices            |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)