[Pm-utils] pm-suspend working only after resuming from pm-hiberante

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 15:55:15 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 21:04 +0000, Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> I've been struggling with suspend to ram for two weeks trying to get it to work and I found out a very strange behaviour:
> - 2disk or pm-hibernate work fine out of the box

Video working after a hibernate/thaw cycle is the usual thing -- the
BIOS fully reinitializes the video hardware when you boot the system to
wake up from hibernate, so we don't have to with the various quirks.

> - s2ram and pm-suspend from X work *only* when resuming from hibernate

Hmmm... I am not parsing this correctly.  Are you trying to say that you
are able to suspend/resume using s2ram or pm-suspend only after a
hibernate/thaw cycle, or something else?

> Invoking s2disk or pm-suspend on a normal boot seem to suspend the laptop correctly
> but on resume, no matter what quirks I try, laptop is freezed with blank screen and no
> keyboard control. On resume hd led flashes for a while, so hd should be ok, but caps lock
> led doesn't (magic sysrq doesn't help).
> My laptop is a 2004 acer travelmate 290 with ipw2200 and 855gm intel graphics.
> The problem is somewhat related to the graphic card since s2ram works properly in
> console (when no X is started) and even in X when using vesa instead of intel driver in
> xorg.conf.
> I've read some documentation on s2ram and pm-utils pages and googled around. I tried
> passing "-f -a3" or "-f -p -m" options as suggested for intel driver. also lshal|grep
> quirk returns nothing.
> I've also tried creating a file in /etc/pm/sleep.d with:    SLEEP_MODULE=”uswsusp”
> SUSPEND_MODULES=”psmouse”
> S2RAM_OPTS=”-f -a3″
> with no luck.

Hmmm... vanilla pm-utils does not use S2RAM_OPTS.  What distro and
revision of pm-utils are you using?

> My conclusion is: there must be some magic in the way s2disk/pm-suspend handles the video
> card... but what's that? Do you have some hints?

pm-hibernate and s2disk don't do any handling of the video card at all
by default.

> Thanks,
> leonardo
>
> PS is posting allowed for suscribers only?

Nope.

>       Scopri il blog di Yahoo! Mail:
> Trucchi, novità e la tua opinione.
> http://www.ymailblogit.com/blog