[Pm-utils] pm-suspend working only after resuming from, pm-hiberante

Leonardo Canducci leonardocanducci at yahoo.it
Tue Oct 7 08:55:22 PDT 2008

--- Mar 7/10/08, Stefan Seyfried <seife at suse.de> ha scritto:

> Da: Stefan Seyfried <seife at suse.de>
> Oggetto: Re: [Pm-utils] pm-suspend working only after resuming from,pm-hiberante
> A: leonardocanducci at yahoo.it
> Cc: pm-utils at lists.freedesktop.org
> Data: Martedì 7 ottobre 2008, 16:29
> Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> > I've been struggling with suspend to ram for two
> weeks trying to get
> > it to work and I found out a very strange behaviour:
> > - 2disk or pm-hibernate work fine out of the box
> > - s2ram and pm-suspend from X work *only* when
> resuming from hibernate
> >
> > Invoking s2disk or pm-suspend on a normal boot seem to
> suspend the
> > laptop correctly but on resume, no matter what quirks
> I try, laptop is
> > freezed with blank screen and no keyboard control. On
> resume hd led
> > flashes for a while, so hd should be ok, but caps lock
> led doesn't
> > (magic sysrq doesn't help).
> >
> > My laptop is a 2004 acer travelmate 290 with ipw2200
> and 855gm intel
> > graphics. The problem is somewhat related to the
> graphic card since
> > s2ram works properly in console (when no X is started)
> and even in X
> > when using vesa instead of intel driver in xorg.conf.
>
> Are you running the latest BIOS available for that machine?
> Which intel driver? "i810" (old) or
> "intel" (new)?
BIOS is up to date. I flashed it a couple of months ago with no visible changes.
I'm using intel driver. with i810 I get the same results (but it used to work better with suspend to ram a few months ago when I was running ubuntu). As I said before with "vesa" driver suspend to ram work flawlessly. So the problem must be related to the video driver.

> > My conclusion is: there must be some magic in the way
> > s2disk/pm-suspend handles the video card... but
> what's that? Do you
> > have some hints?
>
> Not necessarily. It might be an issue of interaction
> between the kernel
> and the BIOS which makes s2ram only work after the resume
> routines of
> s2disk have run once.
I'd like to know if I could take advantage of such routines in some way.

> It might be an issue of "shutdown" vs.
> "platform" mode, etc.
I know nothing about that modes. Could you point me to some docs?
> Generally it looks like a kernel problem, not a pm-utils
> problem.
If so what is the best place to ask?

Thanks,
leonardo