[Pm-utils] RFC - PATCH to functions.in to support Slackware init

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 16:33:15 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Stefan Seyfried <seife at suse.de> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
>> Robby's point about ambiguous service names is valid, though. Right
>> now, we only call stopservice() for ntpd, but it could be called ntp
>> or nettime or anything else since there's no convention for that.
>
> But then, the hook that calls stopservice belongs in the ntpd package and not
> in pm-utils anyway. And again, the packager of the to-be-stopped service knows
> how his init script is named.

Not necessarily when calling init scripts. Each distro usually rolls
their own init script. You can check if suse is using an init script
from the ntp tarball or if someone has just written one and put it in
your CVS. My money is that it is a separate source file suse
maintains. As Robby points out, they use rc.messagebus for dbus while
it might be dbus on one system or dbus-daemon or messagebus somewhere
else.

Oh, I see. You mean the distro's packager, not the upstream packager.
Yes, that would make sense. But my guess is that it needs to be
precluded by actually getting an upstream package to ship a hooks
file, which hasn't been done yet. I do agree that within a
distribution, it would make sense if the hooks file shipped with the
package it was associated with.

--
Dan