[Pm-utils] pm-suspend working only after resuming from pm-hiberante

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Tue Oct 7 13:36:23 PDT 2008

On Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:29 pm Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Leonardo Canducci
>
> <leonardocanducci at yahoo.it> wrote:
> > --- Mar 7/10/08, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> >> Da: Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com>

> >> hibernate/thaw cycle and doesn't on a normal boot?
> >> That's wierd!
> >>
> >> So, you're saying that:
> >>
> >> 1. Suspend to ram after a regular boot fails to restore
> >> video
> >>
> >> 2. Suspend to ram after a thaw from hibernate restores
> >> video correctly
> >
> > That's it. Sorry if I was not clear enough.
> > In case 1. system freezes and I have to shutdown via power button. In
> > case 2. I can use s2ram without problems. I can't really figure out the
> > reason of this different behaviour.
>
> That seems like it could only be a problem in the kernel or in the X
> video driver. But since you say that the system freezes (rather than
> just the video failing), I'm leaning towards the kernel.
>
> You said this was an Intel 855GM? What kernel are you running? What X
> driver are you using? If you can get the Xorg log or dmesg from when
> the display fails to come back, that might be helpful.
>
> I'm cc'ing Jesse Barnes to see if he might be more familiar with
> resume issues with 855GM. Please keep him in the reply list.

If you're using 2.6.25 or later it's also worth checking whether you can do a
suspend/resume from the console directly:
  <boot to text mode>
  # modprobe i915
  # echo mem > /sys/power/state
  <resume>

If that comes back then at least the basic kernel functionality is working.
If X still doesn't work though I'll want to get some more details.