[Pm-utils] pm-suspend working only after resuming from pm-hiberante

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Tue Oct 7 14:25:49 PDT 2008

On Tuesday, October 7, 2008 2:06 pm Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> --- Mar 7/10/08, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org> ha scritto:
> > Da: Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org>
> >
> > > That seems like it could only be a problem in the
> >
> > kernel or in the X
> >
> > > video driver. But since you say that the system
> >
> > freezes (rather than
> >
> > > just the video failing), I'm leaning towards the
> >
> > kernel.
> >
> > > You said this was an Intel 855GM? What kernel are you
> >
> > running? What X
> >
> > > driver are you using? If you can get the Xorg log or
> >
> > dmesg from when
> >
> > > the display fails to come back, that might be helpful.
> > >
> > > I'm cc'ing Jesse Barnes to see if he might be
> >
> > more familiar with
> >
> > > resume issues with 855GM. Please keep him in the reply
> >
> > list.
> >
> > If you're using 2.6.25 or later it's also worth
> > checking whether you can do a
> > suspend/resume from the console directly:
> >   <boot to text mode>
> >   # modprobe i915
> >   # echo mem > /sys/power/state
> >   <resume>
> >
> > If that comes back then at least the basic kernel
> > functionality is working.
>
> It did come back with module i915 loaded in text mode. What can I try now?

Excellent, that's a start.  Can you use the 'intel_reg_dumper' tool (part of
the xf86-video-intel driver tree) to capture register dumps from before and
after the suspend/resume cycle?

Now you should try the same thing, but with X running:
  <boot & login to your desktop env.>
  # chvt 1 (or ctl-alt-f1)
  <login as root>
  # echo mem > /sys/power/state