[Pm-utils] Improve 98smart-kernel-video

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 13:13:43 PST 2009

2009/11/12 Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org>:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 06:36:13PM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
>> Hm, my bad then.
>> I have to say that I tested to boot a system with i915.modesetting=0
>> and afaicr there was no
>> /sys/module/i915 directory then, so have_smart_intel wouldn't trigger
>> anyway, what gives?
>
> There should be, unless your init scripts refuse to load i915 if there's
> no modesetting enabled.

My fault. The module parameter is called modeset not modesetting. I
passed this option on the boot prompt which caused the i915 not be
loaded.
I checked for the /sys/module/i915 directory but not if i915 is actually loaded
Sorry for the mess :-/

Attached is a patch which reverts this part from
504faf0a0c31cbdbc03a608cf633d58f12e49eb7.

@Matthew, is this comment still true?

  # currently, intel kernel modesetting is not quite smart enough
  # we still need acpi s3 kernel modesetting hooks, so don't remove those
  # options if they were passed.

@Victor, if Matthew is ok with the above patch, could you please apply
it and spin a 1.2.6.1 release, please.

Thanks,