[Pm-utils] Migrating suspend quirks away from hal

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 13 05:30:48 PST 2009

Hello Victor, hello Richard, hello devkitters,

in the past half year we have come quite far with the "halsectomy",
i.e. deprecating hal [1]. The main two remaining items are now X.org
input devices (where a patch is already being discussed), and the
suspend quirks in pm-utils.

I would like to push this forward a little. From what I can see, the
are two sensible options:

 (1) Convert the hal-info suspend quirks to a simple text format and
     put it into/maintain it directly in pm-utils.

     → nice encapsulation, maintained at the place where they are
     actually needed

 (2) Convert the quirks to udev rules shipped by/maintained in
     dk-power, and pass the quirks to pm-{suspend,hibernate} as
     command line arguments.

     → we would benefit from the existing and efficient
     vendor/model->properties matching capabilities of udev, but would
     have to find an artificial device to attach them to (there is no
     "computer object" in udev, unlike in hal)

My personal preference is (1). Victor, Richard, what do you think?

I am happy to create some scripts to convert the hal-info data to some
text format or udev rules. I have a certain experience with that from
converting keymaps [2] and music players [3], after all. :-)

Thanks,

Martin

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Halsectomy
[2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/devkit-devel/2009-May/000171.html