[Pm-utils] Migrating suspend quirks away from hal

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 19:59:15 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 20:42 -0600, Victor Lowther wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 12:30 -0600, Victor Lowther wrote:
> > On Nov 13, 2009, at 7:30 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Victor, hello Richard, hello devkitters,
> > >
> > > in the past half year we have come quite far with the "halsectomy",
> > > i.e. deprecating hal [1]. The main two remaining items are now X.org
> > > input devices (where a patch is already being discussed), and the
> > > suspend quirks in pm-utils.
> > >
> > > I would like to push this forward a little. From what I can see, the
> > > are two sensible options:
> > >
> > > (1) Convert the hal-info suspend quirks to a simple text format and
> > >     put it into/maintain it directly in pm-utils.
> > >
> > >     → nice encapsulation, maintained at the place where they are
> > >     actually needed
> >
> > I did this as an experiment last year, and it worked out well at the
> > time. I will see if I still have that branch around somewhere to make
> > available for comment.
>
> Attached is the code I posted to the hal mailing list last November to
> migrate the video quirk database out of HAL and into something a little
> easier for bash to deal with.  It did not have the full expressive power
> of the hal-info XML format, but that was mostly not needed anyways --
> the only place it was used was the 21-nvidia quirk for handling g80
> chipsets with the nv driver, but that can just as easily be hacked into
> a few lines of bash.

And now, a version that actaully works.  With a bit of glue code, this
can replace auto quirk and smart kernel driver handling in pm-utils.

Yes, I know that I am insane for parsing XML in bash. In my defense, I
only do it when I have to. The sooner we no longer rely on .fdi files,
the better.

Comments, flames (except XML-related ones and ones implying we no longer
have to worry about quirks), etc. welcome.