[Pm-utils] Migrating suspend quirks away from hal

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 19:44:11 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/11/26 Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com>:
> > I think if this is really the way to go, then shell is not the right
> > tool for the job at runtime. You could write a trivial C program to
> > parse that out and spit out the quirks on stdout for pm-utils to use.
> > Bash is great, but it is not the right tool for all jobs.
>
> One obvious alternative is, to generate the quirks database at build
> time rather than at runtime on each users computer, and ship it along
> with pm-utils.

Definitly -- we want to cut over to a native format anyways, so we would be
packaging up the quirks database separate from pm-utils and hal in any case
-- sorta like the way hal and hal-info are separated.

> The only disadvantage of this approach that I can see, is that local
> modification (via hal fdi files in /etc) wouldn't be considered.

It is easy enough to look in the usual places and provide documentation for
those users who fall outside our usual locations.