[Pm-utils] pm-utils-1.3.0 wrong quirks for Lenovo Thinkpad X60

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 20:01:22 PDT 2010

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 23:16:14 +0200
"Roman v. Gemmeren" <roman at hasnoname.de> wrote:

> Hi Victor Lowther!
>
> I hope it is ok to contact you directly, i didn't want to subscribe
> the ml just to report a bug...
>
> I just tested pm-utils-1.3.0 on gentoo and
> found out it was no longer resuming from suspend.

Were you running pm-suspend directly or through a session power
manager?

> After some investigation i found both "s3_bios" and "s3_mode" enabled,
> while in fact the x60 doesn't need a quirk at all (at least the
> version with intel-graphics).

What was the testing you used?

> This is the
> lshal| grep "system.hardware.product"
> system.hardware.product="7673W6M"
>
> Instead of asking for the product id, wouldn't it be possible to just
> check for the boolean "power_management.can_suspend"?

pm-utils no longer uses HAL -- it manages the video quirk database
directly.  HAL is in the process of going away, and pm-utils 1.3.0 took
over managing the quirks database.  However, if whatever is invoking
pm-utils is passing quirks to it, that will override whatever is in the
database.

If you system works fine without quirks

> If you need any other infos to fix it, i would be happy to provide
> more informations...

Sure -- if you can send me the /var/log/pm-suspend log from when it
breaks and when it works, that would help.

You can also override the local quirks database by running

pm-suspend --quirk-none --store-quirks-as-lkw

If that does The Right Thing on your system,
send /etc/pm/last_known_working.quirkdb to me and I will update the
native quirk database.

--
Victor Lowther
Ubuntu Certified Professional