Add support for group auth to PolicyKit?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Dec 2 22:14:58 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 23:43 -0600, Robby Workman wrote:
> While trying to duplicate our functionality of PolicyKit-less HAL, I
> reached the conclusion that it's not possible with the current feature
> set of PolicyKit (I may of course be wrong).

I don't think it is possible, no.

> I think I'm going to need
> some way to automatically authorize members of *groups* (rather than
> just individual users) to take actions.  As a over-simplified example,
> something like this in PolicyKit.conf:
>
>   <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage*">
>     <match group="plugdev">
>       <return result="yes"/>
>     </match>
>   </match>
>
> While searching for similar requests/discussions, I found this:
>   http://moblin.org/community/blogs/toddbrandt/2008/policykit-and-consolekit
> Is this something planned for David's in-progress rewrite, and if not,
> what are the chances of adding it?  :-)

Support for managing authorizations on other entities (such as UNIX
groups) than just users is indeed planned.  Also, support for UNIX
groups will be done in a way so we're not susceptible to the problems
traditionally associated with UNIX group membership (once member of a
group, always member of a group...) by e.g. checking membership using
and not the effective groups of a given process.

FWIW, for the time being I'm working (but have been busy working on
other code the past few months) in a temporary git repository here

 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~david/polkit/tree/

Nothing really works right now in that repo, but when it's functional
and stuff I'll merge the code into the main PolicyKit repository and
send a message here.

     David