polkit-grant-helper 0.9 not getting proper gid/uid

Steve steve at gnomeslackbuild.org
Sat Aug 1 11:18:43 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm having difficulty getting polkit-gnome-authorisation to run on
Slackware.  I'm running polkit-gnome-example as a test program, but
clicking doesn't return anything (or pop up a authentication box)

After some strace'ing on polkit-gnome-manager, I found that the
polkit-grant-helper/polkit-grant-helper-shadow are quiting after getting
incorrect egid/euids.  It seems that despite the fact that the binaries
are properly owned by the polkituser, and setuid/setgid as appropriate,
the code geteuid and getegid always return (or match?) the user's real
uid/gid.  And so the helpers always quit with an error.

I've inserted some debugging code in order to trace the problem.  If I run
/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-helper (i.e. improperly) from the command line,
my debug statements show it has grabbed proper egid, but when I start
polkit-gnome-example and let things run on their own, they report the
users real uid/gid again, and so it fails:

polkit-grant-helper.c:
if (strcmp (group->gr_name, POLKIT_GROUP) != 0) returns true, despite the
fact the helper is setgid to polkituser. Any ideas?

Thanks,

--
-= Steve =-