Policy Kit Performance Metrics

Creative Innovative innovative_c at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 17:25:36 PST 2009

Hello David,

We are evaluating performance of Policy Kit apis.

We looked at the demo code, you have posted at ::http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/timezone/
and modified that code, to use PolKitTracker.

Target Platform:: Ubuntu Hardy system, Dual Core Intel CPU running at 2.4 GHz.

Took performance metrics for the following two apis
polkit_tracker_get_caller_from_dbus_name, Average CPU clock cyles:: 1050
polkit_context_can_caller_do_action, Average CPU clock cycles:: 5502000

Basically above 2 apis will get called by any method exposed by a mechanism to a caller.
So in the case of demo code for timezone, inside gnome_clock_applet_mechanism_set_timezone()
those 2 apis get called.

Question1) Just curious to know, if you have any performance metrics, that you can share with us.

Question2) Besides that I was concerned that adding io_watches for policy kit config file,
policy file directory and auth db file, can be a peformance hit for the mechanism.
But based on some reading looks like using Glib's IO channels for those
files, minimizes performance impact on running process, can you please confirm.

Question3) For the hash functionality provided by kit_hash.c source code, is there any
hard-limit to the size of the hash table

Question4) If there is any tip to improve performance while using policy kit from a mechanism, please let us know.

Regards,

Sudha
(Software Engineer at Intel.)