PolicyKit 0.90 (pre-)release

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jan 21 07:51:00 PST 2009

> > do you have
> > any initial porting guide or notes to put my mind at rest?
>
> Yeah, basically
>
>  - The daemon should be using the async check_auth() function and
>    passing POLKIT_CHECK_AUTHORIZATION_FLAGS_ALLOW_USER_INTERACTION.
>    Keep in mind this call will not return while the user dialog is
>    showing so that's one possible complication.
>
>    It will be possible to cancel the check_auth() call (using a
>    GCancellable) and that will make the dialog go away.
>
>  - The UI should not need to know anything about PolicyKit at all.

One clarification here: of course polkit-gnome will also be ported
(which is on my list of things to do for 0.91)... but that's going to be
only for changing the appearance of buttons/menu; e.g. put a padlock on
a button if it means an authentication dialog will pop up when pressing
it. IOW the activate() signal will not be intercepted and dealt with
like polkit 0.9.x does. That's another simplification I wanted...

     David