Contribute to Policykit

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Jul 7 14:45:44 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 15:08 -0500, Nicolas Valcárcel Scerpella wrote:
> 	I'm interested in contributing to PolicyKit, i already
> downloaded the code and have been reading it, but i still don't find any
> documentation on what the procedures for patches are, what the plans for
> PolicyKit are and such information needed to start in a new project, am
> i just missing something or there is no such documentation still?

This sounds good; what areas are you planning on working on? FWIW, I
posted some kind of status report a few weeks ago, here

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/polkit-devel/2009-June/000135.html

It might help explain the direction, otherwise just ask on this list.
The file HACKING in the source tree might also be helpful.

The documentation produced by the build might also be helpful, here's a
snapshot of the docs for 0.92

http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/polkit/

The intended audience for these docs encompasses a) developers using
polkit for mechanisms; b) system administrators wishing to figure out
what's going on; and c) developers writing desktop-specific
authentication agents. That's the plan anyway.

The general procedure for contributing to PolicyKit is much like any
other project. Feature work that involves adding new features should
generally be discussed on this mailing list, bug reports/fixes and
similar on the fd.o bugzilla.

There's some desktop specific bits to PolicyKit, these should be handled
by the desktop project in question - for example, for the polkit-gnome
project, use the GNOME bugzilla.

Hope this clarifies.

     David