POLKIT_LOCAL_I_KNOW_API_IS_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jul 15 06:43:56 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 10:38 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> With this mornings PolicyKit, my PackageKit build fails:
>
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/hughsie/Code/PackageKit/src'
>   CC     libpackagekit_action_lookup_la-pk-polkit-action-lookup.lo
> In file included from
> /usr/include/polkit-1/polkitbackend/polkitbackendauthority.h:30,
>                  from /usr/include/polkit-1/polkitbackend/polkitbackend.h:33,
>                  from pk-polkit-action-lookup.c:25:
> /usr/include/polkit-1/polkitlocal/polkitlocal.h:26:2: error: #error
> "libpolkitlocal is unstable API and subject to change. You must define
> POLKIT_LOCAL_I_KNOW_API_IS_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE to acknowledge this."
> make[3]: *** [libpackagekit_action_lookup_la-pk-polkit-action-lookup.lo] Error 1
>
> It might be nice to announce requirements like this on the mailing
> list.

FWIW, this will probably change again, I'm currently shuffling code
around trying to make things fit etc. Also, I don't think it's
reasonable to announce each and every change on the mailing list;
there's a reason we have logs in git... Personally I just follow the git
repos in Google Reader for the main 10-20 projects I care about. Works
really well.

>  Also we probably want to slow down the API changes soon, if we
> want to do a 1.0 release.

Uh, this is in some code where you already had to define
POLKIT_BACKEND_I_KNOW_API_IS_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE since you are extending
the daemon.... so I don't think it's reasonable to complain.

Btw, there's no API _change_ here (and there are no planned changes to
PolkitBackendActionLookup either), just some build system snafu.

     David