polkit_authority_check_authorization oddity

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jul 16 11:14:43 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 05:40 -0700, Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> The first versions of polkit-kde0.91 worked this same way (kde auto start),
> and it had several problems, such as crashing for some unknown reason,
> (of couse those were bugs)
> but whey I saw polkit-gnome-0.91 was called only when needed
> I changed that behavior, and IMO that's much much better,
> Imagine a user using polkit-gnome in blackbox or xfce....
> Using gnome-autostart doesn't help if the user xkill the dialog
> or maybe a bug is found that after a while it quits, the user will be upset.

First of all your software shouldn't crash. But even if it crashes you
can just configure the autostart behavior so it is relaunched if it
happens.

> I really believe you should make polkit-gnome behave the old way
> (session D-Bus).

The problem with this is the following. Suppose an user has both
polkit-gnome and polkit-kde installed. Both packages provide a .service
file to start each authentication agent when someone calls into the
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.AuthenticationAgent name on the session bus.
How should the message bus decide on which one to start? It can't.

     David