On policykit and standards

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 23:09:35 PDT 2009

Hello list,

I'm writing this mail after some promises from David, after waiting months
without a reply but just 2-3 lines in irc by chasing David from my last mail,
and after seeing that from 11th of May the activity on the Git repo has begun
again, and still nobody got in touch with me.

I will try to be very direct: I'm tired of the state of things. I'm tired of
seeing that you people define yourself as a "standard", but in the end you
fail in:

 - providing a stable API
 - providing even the smallest information about development and API changes
 - supporting anything that is not GNOME, and not giving a bit of help in
people who actually are trying to push your standard.

Let me remind you that a standard is a standard once many projects and many
distributions embrace it. At the current state of things, I can surely say
that there is no interest for me and for KDE to support polkit 1.0 (and I
fought through hell to make polkit 0.9 accepted in, as many people were
concerned about the approach and all the deprecated -grant and -dbus
libraries), unless you start showing some interest.

If you want to keep working the way you are doing it now, you will actually
end up in having what you started in the first place: a standard for the GNOME
desktop. maybe that's what you wanted, but if that's the case, I would
appreciate if you could move from fd.o to gnome git.

I'm sorry if I seemed rude; but I think it's even more rude ignoring people
that are actually supporting your cause. I sincerely hope I'll get a reply and
possibly a follow-up discussion on this.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B