Malware protection?

Vladimir vlabla at tiscali.cz
Sat Nov 21 07:28:36 PST 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 15:22 +0100, memolus at googlemail.com wrote:

> >Also I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'malware protection'
> Malware protection means that the user and not the malware decides, so
> that an policykit action is not available to malware, only to trusted
> applications, where the user decides and which can't be controlled by
> malware. It means:
> * Only trusted applications are allowed
> * Trusted applications are in another security context,
>   so that they can't be controlled by malware
> * Malware isn't able to steel the password

> At all you only need this "yes/no dialog" only the first time. If the
> application is already marked as trusted, you would be able to use it
> whenever you want without the need for any additional authentication.
> Malware wouldn't be able to controll your application, because it's in
> another security context.

Please, excuse my following comments. I am just a linux desktop distro
user.

The above concept seems to be a redundant duplicity if thinking of
software which was correctly installed with root privileges like it is
common for Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSuse ... (they were classified "trusted"
by an admin). But it can be a beneficial enhancement / complement for
running scripts or applications located in the user's HOME folder (like
Java portable apps: Freemind / OpenProject / aTunes).