[poppler] About my getText patch

Albert Astals Cid tsdgeos at yahoo.es
Wed Apr 20 02:39:04 PDT 2005

I have realised it has either a bad comment or bad
code, because the comment on Poppler::Rectangle says
the coordinates have to be on PDF system but then they
are not handled like that, it should have a

 y1 = height - rect->y2;
 y2 = height - rect->y1;

or similar like glib fronted has. Now my question is,
what is better, having the Rectangle on PDF coords or
in screen coords? poppler internally seems to use
screen coords and for us in kpdf (don't know about
evince) is easier getting screen coords too, so why
use PDF coords in the frontends if all it does give
work to the app to figure out the PDF coords from
screen coords and then change the PDF coords to screen
coords again.

I hope i've been clear about my doubts.

P.S: The kat [1] people have already adopted a patch
based on the usage of poppler + getText patch so i'd
ask to discuss this as quickly as possible so the
patch gets in poppler and they can start using it :-D

[1] http://kat.sourceforge.net/