[poppler] Can pdfto*-commands depend on a specific backend?

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Dec 12 08:46:43 PST 2005

Thorkild Stray wrote:
> Well, it kinda has to, when I come to think of it. pdftotext depends on
> the TextOuputDev, for example.
>
> But is it ok to depend on, for example, a Cairo-backend?
>
> In Høgsberg's "poppler 0.5 release coming up soon" he mentioned:
> I've been playing with a pdftosvg plugin for use with inkscape (to make
> it possible to import PDF), and was just wondering if this is something
> that could be distributed with poppler, or if things like that should be
> distributed separatly.

This is awesome.  Overall, I'd like the command line utilities to be
option compatible with the existing xpdf utilities and not depend on
either the glib or the qt binding.  I think it's a good idea to ship and
build any new command line tools we add these together with poppler, and
since they'll be using the xpdf header files, it's pretty much the only
option.

As for backend choice, where possible, I'd like the command line tools
to work with either the splash or cairo (and eventually arthur) backends
(like the glib bindings).  But for things like pdftosvg, which requires
the cairo backend, it makes sense to only build that if the cairo
backend is configure in.

cheers,
Kristian