[poppler] RFC: Crypto and poppler

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Wed Jul 6 05:15:05 PDT 2005

At 9:22 PM +1000 7/6/05, Brad Hards wrote:
>To support PDF 1.6 (ie Acrobat 7), we need to support AES decryption (or
>encryption, its symmetric). Now that could be coded, but I'm a bit reluctant
>to do so, because crypto is so messy, and hardware acceleration is so useful.

	Have you checked with Derek to see where it falls on his "to
do" list?  If he has already done it (or is going to soon), I don't
see a need for you folks to do it here.

>Right now, I'm thinking about the first one as the likely best bet. libgcrypt
>might also replace the alleged RC4 and MD5 stuff.

	You could certainly use libcrypt to replace the current RC4
and MD5, though I don't necessary see any advantage to doing so.
Both of those are lightweight algorithms and well handled by Xpdf as
is.

	However, using it for AES might not be bad - but again, I'd
check with Derek first.

Leonard