[poppler] Removing xpdfrc dependency

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Wed Jul 6 13:59:49 PDT 2005

Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Do we really need to depend on xpdfrc?

No, I've wanted to get rid of it for a while.  There's a lot in there
that's not relevant and the rest should be configured by the application.

> Having a look at the xpdfrc mandriva ships i see
>
> Font related stuff - we are going to ignore it if i even get a fontconfig
> patch accepted (i'm working on it, more on that later)

Yeah, all this should go through fontconfig.

> the paper size we want for ps (i.e. printing), that should be really
> application controlled and not file controlled, i suggest changing this to an
> api call

Yeah.

> The text encoding, we are already defined to be utf-8 in the source, but let
> the user change it, imho we should remove the option to the user change it in
> the config file as it seems it can cause more harm than good

Yep.

> enableT1lib: if Use t1lib lib
> enableFreeType: if use freetype lib
> antialias: if enable antialiasing
>
> Again this should be better application controlled, so i suggest changing this
> to api calls

Actually, I think we should just always use freetype and remove t1lib
support.  As for anti-alising: an API call sounds good.

> urlCommand: i don't think we have any use for that

No, this is specific to the xpdf application.  In GNOME and KDE we get
the URL handler from the desktop wide setting.

> So would a patch for removing the dependancy on xpdfrc be accepted given it
> provides the api calls?

Sure, sounds good.

Kristian